As 2017 starts it’s only appropriate for people to want to make positive changes in their lives to better themselves, their jobs, their family’s situation, and so on. Some put plans in place to shed the holiday weight by eating right and hitting the gym. Others build vision boards that show pictures of the places they want to visit. And others start putting in place plans to achieve lifelong goals that will put their family in the homes of their dreams. Here are some tips on how to achieve your real estate New Year’s Resolutions in 2017:
Real Estate New Year’s Resolution for Sellers
- Be Reasonable: Heed your agent’s advice…if they believe that the home is priced too high or that there needs to be repairs done to be accepted by the buyer, you may want to consider their experience in order for you to get the most for your home.
- Declutter Your Home: This is one of the most important parts of preparing to sell your home in the new year. Not only should you get rid of old clothes and unwanted toys/furniture, but also get rid of anything that is not needed to live in the home. If need be, store wanted yet unneeded items to open up the home and allow viewers to envision their own things in your space more easily.
- Paint Your Home: Be sure you choose light, neutral colors that will brighten up, make the space look larger, and allow others to see themselves in your home. This is a relatively cheap upgrade that does a world of good!
- Stage Your Home: If you decided to hire a professional stager or take on the chore yourself, be sure you make each room stand out and leave the potential home buyer wanting more and seeing their family living happily ever after.
- Stay Positive: Selling your home can be one of the most stressful experiences. Be sure you have an agent in your corner that will help you along the way, has experience and success, and will set you straight if you start to feel overwhelmed.
Real Estate New Year’s Resolution for Buyers
- Clean Up Your Credit: Make sure your bills are paid on time and that you keep your credit card, car, and student loans in check. Don’t avoid credit all together, as not giving a portfolio of credit history can lead loan officers to be weary.
- Automate Your Down Payment Savings: Many people getting closer to buying their dream home will know that having a solid down payment is crucial to any first steps. Some will advise that a downpayment of 20% would put you in the best spot, however learning to save effectively gets any goal started. Automating your paychecks to save a certain percentage to a separate account titled “House Fund” will make the process that typically takes discipline and perseverance just a little bit easier.
- Budget Wisely: Downsize your monthly budget to allow you to set aside for your downpayment and moving expenses. If you realize that your dream home’s mortgage is higher than you are accustom to, scale down your monthly spending to accommodate your future expenses and get used to living on less disposable income.
For All Other Real Estate New Year’s Resolutions
- Make sure your list is of things you really want, not what others want for you.
- Limit your list to a number you can manage.
- Be specific.
- Automate things to reach financial goals.
- Have a plan
- Be open-minded and willing to change some habits.
- Write down your goals.
- Tell someone your goals to help keep you accountable.
- Forgive yourself and start over if you fall off the wagon.
Let Tony Help You Achieve Your Real Estate New Year’s Resolutions in 2017
Contact Tony Raffin today to get started with the home selling process or to have any questions answered.